Kyowa Hakko USA Announces New Findings about its Ingredient Sustamine, Taking After Exercise May Increase Cognitive Function
Reaction Times Outshine Those Where No Hydration Was Given*
Taking Kyowa Hakko USA’s Sustamine® L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine during endurance exercise appears to enhance athletes’ reaction times when compared to no hydration, according to a study published in the European Journal of Sport Science.1
Twelve male athletes performed four endurance trials of the same workload. One trial allowed no hydration, with another consisting of consumption of a commercial sports drink (1L). The other two trials included low (600mg/L) and high (2g/L) doses of Sustamine® in the sports drink.
Participants were then given a reaction time test where they had to strike targets within 60 seconds as quickly as possible when lit up with either a hand or foot. Magnitude-based inferences were used to analyze test data. With no hydration, researchers found athletes’ reaction time appeared to be negatively affected while those taking Sustamine® saw a possibly higher number of correct hits. The same effects were not apparent when participants consumed only the sports drink.
View the entire study on www.tandfonline.com
Sustamine® is a dipeptide of glutamine that provides several substantial benefits such as enhanced recovery, immune system support, and increased metabolic rate. On top of these benefits, research suggests that Sustamine® is absorbed more than 200 percent better than standard L-glutamine.2 This means you get better results while having to use less.
- Gabriel J. Pruna, Jay R. Hoffman, William P. McCormack, Adam R. Jajtner, Jeremy R. Townsend, Jonathan D. Bohner, Michael B. La Monica, Adam J. Wells, Jeffrey R. Stout, Maren S. Fragala, David H. Fukuda (2014). Effect of acute L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine and electrolyte ingestion on cognitive function and reaction time following endurance exercise. Eur J Sport Sci 2014 1-8. Epub 2014 Oct. 16. DOI:10.1080/17461391.2014.969325.
- Harris, RC, et al., NBH: L-glutamine absorption is enhanced after ingestion of L-alanylglutamine compared with the free amino acid or wheat protein. Nutr Res 2012, doi:10.1016/j.nutres.2013.02.003.
Sustamine® L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine is a stable dipeptide of L-Alanine and L-Glutamine. Sustamine is more easily absorbed by the body than complex protein molecules. This makes Sustamine a highly effective ingredient for hydration, endurance and recovery.* Vegetarian, allergen-free and the only GRAS L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine, Sustamine is also tasteless, odorless, and stable in liquids.
Sustamine is an ingredient that works on multiple levels to help rehydrate the body and sustain energy levels during exertion. Sustamine combines L-Glutamine (the most important amino acid for stimulating muscle protein synthesis) and L-Arginine (an amino acid needed for rebuilding your body’s glycogen stores). Sustamine enhances performance and recovery in three primary ways. It helps:
- Replace lost electrolytes and fluids
- Repair damaged muscle proteins
- Refill the body’s energy stores
For more information on Sustamine, visit: www.sustamine.com.
About Kyowa Hakko USA
Kyowa Hakko USA is the North American sales office for Kyowa Hakko Bio Co. Ltd., an international health ingredients manufacturer and world leader in the development, manufacturing and marketing of pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals and food products. Kyowa is the maker of branded ingredients including Cognizin® Citicoline, Pantesin® Pantethine, Setria® Glutathione, as well as Sustamine® L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine. For more information visit kyowa-usa.com.