Clinical Study Shows Sustamine™ Increases Performance
February 10, 2010
New York, NY – A clinical study by Dr. Jay Hoffman, PhD, professor and chair of the Department of Health and Exercise Science at the College of New Jersey, has shown Sustamine™ L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine, increases performance in endurance exercise and activity. The study was published on February 3, 2010, in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition (JISSN), a peer-reviewed journal covering various aspects of sports nutrition, supplementation, exercise metabolism, and/or scientific policies related to sports nutrition.
The data published in the Journal of ISSN shows:
- Significant performance reduction occurred when exercising to exhaustion in subjects' hypohydrated to 2.5% of body mass.
- When subjects ingested the Sustamine™ supplement during the rehydration period the magnitude of performance reduction was significantly less compared to the dehydrated condition.
- Water alone did not appear to significantly off-set the performance reduction.
The study showed the efficacy of Sustamine L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine ingestion during Hydration Stress under intense exercise. The clinical study covered the ability of Sustamine L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine to enhance fluid regulation in healthy, active individuals in relation to both endurance and high intensity exercise. Further discussion focuses on the potential ergogenic benefit that Sustamine™ has under these exercise and hydration stresses. The role that this dipeptide has on the inflammatory, immune and recovery responses to these stresses was also examined.
Sustamine™ is the only GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) form of L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine for a variety of food, beverage and healthcare applications. It appears to increase electrolyte and fluid uptake across the intestines by increasing ion transport through an enhanced signaling pathway within the intestinal mucosal cells. Its implications for exercise are enhancement of fluid regulation during prolonged exercise in the heat, maintaining or enhancing performance during a hydration/heat stress, and enhancing recovery from exercise by modulating immune, inflammatory and oxidative stress responses to physical activity.
Sustamine™, manufactured by Kyowa Hakko Bio Co. Ltd., is considered a "high-tech" amino acid dipeptide that promotes muscle rehydration, recovery and can be used as a source for energy refueling. Produced by a novel and cost effective patented fermentation technology, Sustamine™ L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine is available in powder form and is water-soluble into a clear solution. It is also odorless and tasteless.
Additional Sustamine™ highlights include:
- Patent pending for improved endurance performance
- Only stable form of glutamine for solutions or ready to drink beverages
- Stable in beverages with broad pH ranges
- Stable in beverages for over one year at room temperature